ICSE Board: Syllabus, Curriculum, Salient Features
About CISCE Board
The CISCE or Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations is one of the most centralized boards for secondary and higher secondary education. It conducts the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) Exam for class X, the Indian School Certificate (ISC) Exam for class XII and the Certificate for Vocational Education (CVE) Exam for class XII. The curriculum of the board includes a good mixture of curricular and extra-curricular activities. The board always tries to give the students the best known through the best way and also tries to ensure that the students stay up-to-date with the world and with their education as well.
Examination in CISCE Board
ICSE (Class 10th): India Certificate of Secondary Examination (ICSE) is the examination for Class 10th. According to the recommendations of the new education policy (1986), ICSE is designed to provide an examination in the course of general education.
ISC (Class 12th): The Indian School Certificate Examination (ISCE) is the examination for Class 12th through English medium by CISCE. According to the recommendations of new education policy (1986), ISC (Class 12th) is a two-year course after ICSE (Class 10th).
CVE: The Certificate of Vocational Education Examination (CVE - 12) has been created as an examination, in accordance with the recommendations of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) through the Joint Council of Vocational Education (JCVE) established under the National Policy of Education 1986. This examination can be taken by candidates after a two year course of studies beyond the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (Year 10) examination or its equivalent, through the medium of English.
Features of CISCE Board
- The curriculum is designed in such a way that it improves the content and application awareness of the concepts
- Practical and lab work is given equal importance with theory papers
- Since CISCE affiliated schools mostly charge hefty fees (Which is a CON in itself), one can guarantee the quality of teachers available in these schools
- The curriculum includes subjects like arts, dance, and music which guarantees the all-round development of the students
- The Board gives huge importance to extra-curricular activities and hence the students have great development not just academically but in many other fields as well
- In classes 9, 10, 11, 12, the Board offers your choice of subjects to some extent and provides flexibility and choices to the students
- The curriculum follows a theme-based and step-by-step approach to teaching which guarantees that the child learns in the most relevant way
- The curriculum allows the schools and the teachers to make some changes to it to fulfill the requirements of the child and the school
Curriculum of CISCE Board
The curriculum of ICSE is one of the toughest and most demanding not just in India but the whole world. The curriculum of CISCE is sub-divided as follows:
- The Pre-school Level - Being one of the most crucial years of the development of a child, it is utmost important to nurture the child in the best possible way. The Board accomplishes it by making its curriculum in such a way that it imparts interaction driven education. It includes learning through enriched play experiences and enjoyable play activities.
- The Primary Level - This includes the curriculum to be followed during the classes I to V. A theme-based approach is followed to impart the necessary skills which the child will need in the future to develop his/her talents as a student and as an individual. Being the years when the student starts his education in the true sense, Logical Thinking is developed within them. The subjects taught during this stage are:
- Environmental Studies (I and II)
- Science (III to V)
- Social Studies (III to V)
- Computer Studies
- Arts Education
- The Upper Primary Level - For a child, these are most crucial levels in his/her education. The concepts which the child will be needing directly for the higher education are taught at this stage. The syllabus includes languages so that the students can develop their thought process using the language. Science and Mathematics help them develop problem-solving, critical thinking and logical analysis. Social Studies helps them to get an insight of their culture and surroundings. Computer and Arts impart various skills which help the students to excel both personally and professionally (academically). The subjects taught at this stage i.e. from class VI to VIII are:
- History & Civics
- Computer Science
- Arts Education
- The Secondary Level - The CISCE Board organizes one of the most sought-after class X certificate named as the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education i.e., ICSE. Its curriculum includes various subjects which the child may require in his/her professional education. The students are free to choose from these subjects with some guidelines framed by the Board.
- The Higher Secondary Level - Another exam organized by the Board is the Indian School Certificate or ISC for class XII students. During this stage, the students are taught subjects which are the most important for the professional education of the student.
Assessment Pattern of CISCE Board
The assessment pattern of the Board helps the students as well as the parents about the strengths and weaknesses of the child. The curriculum gives equal importance to practical (lab) and theory work which helps in improving the overall development of the students. The assessment is not just done on the papers written by the students, but also on other oral and written activities like discussion /dialogue, project work, model-making /posters/charts, experimentation, group and individual activities, games /quizzes and maintaining every child’s portfolio, etc.
The results of the academic year 2017-18 are expected to arrive sometime in the last week of May 2018. Until then, students can relax or can utilize their time to improve their personal skills and develop themselves.
ISCE Board Results
How to Check the ISCE Result:
The students can check the result in two ways:
- Head on to the official website of ICSE http://www.cisce.org/
- Click on the Results Tab and select ISC
- Enter your Unique Id (UID) and enter the Captcha
- Click on the Submit
- If you entered the details correctly, your result will be displayed
- Check it and take print-outs for future reference